sbr animation

Sunday, March 28, 2010

I look for the light through the pourin' rain

A couple of weeks ago Jane and I went to New York City to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We walked around Times Square, visited Saint Pat's, took in a show and visited Ground Zero. It was a great time and a wonderful way to mark our first year as husband and wife. We both wrote about it for 52 Projects. So what does that have to do with this week's 52 Projects? I'll tell you...

When we went to NY it rained





A lot





For two days




There were heavy winds, torrential rains, flooding, power outages, and all manner of mayhem all over the tri state region. Go ahead, Google it.




After visiting Ground Zero on Sunday we took a walk in Battery Park


Right there in the North Marina on the Hudson River...



We saw the remnants of the storm; a whole bunch of drift wood



We picked up several pieces. So many in fact that we had to grab some umbrella bags (plastic bags used to keep umbrellas from dripping indoors, conveniently located inside the big building right by the marina) to carry away our loot. Funny thing is, I'd never seen these umbrella bags before this trip. Hmmm...



Here's a look at things laid out to dry once we got home.




I know we (I) will have many more projects born out of this haul ,but the first are the City Scape and Lady Liberty we built and Jane wrote about on the main 52 Projects site




And the candle holders I fashioned out of a cylindrical piece of wood



Isolation on the original piece from the pile





Seems like all our pieces this week have candles. Go figure.

It was such an honor and a privileg to be able to work with Jane on this project. I feel like we brought it to life together in so many ways. I first noticed the wood and started collecting pieces. That inspired her to grab a few too. I've always been fascinated by drift wood and flotsam and jetsam and now I have 52 Projects to really get me thinking and creating. I knew I wanted to do "something" with the wood but Jane knew right away that she wanted to build the city scape to commemorate our anniversary but also to honor those who died as a result of the attacks on September 11th. So, she had the idea and the vision but wasn't sure about how to make some things work. That part was easy for me; drill here, screw there, bada boom bada bing - City Scape and Lady Liberty.

The whole process was like the miracle of birth. I had the seed of the idea for using the driftwood to create something. This seed found fertile ground in the womb of her imagination and the city images began to grow in her mind. When the time came to bring them to life I was able to coach her some and pull just a bit to bring them into the light of the world. We really are a great team and I am so excited to see what we do next!


Bonus points for anyone who gets the reference in the post title. And NO GOOGLING!!!

7 comments:

K A B L O O E Y said...

Again, as I wrote to Jane, I LOVE this piece. As a native New Yorker who was around during 9/11 (sorry, Breen, but that's what we call it) and as someone who always had a deep connection to the city, it really makes me smile. I also love the folk art look of the piece. And those candlesticks make me want to drift away.

Erika (for Arianna :) said...

Love that you mingled your minds in such a beautiful way and from that came a fantastic project. I can't imagine what you two will come out with next. :) And you can't never have enough candles! (I don't know where you got that tile.. but love it)

ros said...

What a great piece of cooperative art. And such nice memories to go with it...give me the beat boys...

ros said...

should have included the part about 'drift away' since I am assuming that is your reference

Anonymous said...

love how you were able to work on this project together.

Diana said...

I love this project, and I find them energy and teamwork between you and Jane so inspiring. Thank you!

Annie Z said...

I love that you have created such wonderful pieces from piles of unattractive driftwood. To have selected pieces of beauty from it all is fantastic. I particularly like your wooden candle holders!