sbr animation

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Roasting my nuts

This week for 52 Projects I've taken on a culinary challenge; cashew butter. I LOVE cashews and have always wanted to make my own nut butter, so I did. It was pretty easy and there were quite a few "How to's" online.

I wanted to start with raw pieces and roast them myself. My wonderful wife volunteered to pick them up for me as she was making a run to Wegmans and they have a nice bulk section. I wanted 3 cups of raw cashews. She came home with 3 pounds of roasted cashews :) Good thing we like cashews!

She redeemed herself by going to a local nut store, The Head Nut, and got the 3 cups of raw pieces while I was out on a bike ride this morning.

So here's the process:

Get nuts (I swear, it was full!)




Roast them @ 350 for a few minutes until brown (mine went about 9 mins)





Have food processor



Throw them in the food processor and let it do its thing.





Add some extra virgin olive oil as needed for creaminess (I used about 3-4 teaspoons for 3 cups of nuts.



You'll need to keep checking the consistency and scrapping the sides. Mad scientist face is optional.



Put it in an air tight container to keep it fresh



Enjoy!




We spread some on fresh apple pieces using the sunshine plate Jane created. Yummage!





Things I learned:

* Don't put 3 cups of nuts on a single baking sheet. Only put on enough to cover the pan in one layer.

* Make sure to stir the nuts every few minutes while roasting. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.

* Let the nuts cool before using the food processor.

* Be patient. Let the processor do its thing. It will take a while and you'll need to scrape the sides often. At first the nuts will just get chopped into bits. Eventually the bits will start to clump. This is when to add the oil, but remember the Brylcreem adds; a little dab'll do ya. Use as little oil as possible to get the consistency you like.

I will be enjoying this project for days to come. Yea for nuts!

7 comments:

Jane said...

I love your nuts....and the cashew butter was delicious too:) Sorry, but it was just WAY too easy to write that comment :))

Erika (for Arianna :) said...

This post was funny and yummy! I love the mad scientist face as I know some mad scientists at my job. Very good impersonation. Nice recipe too. Love all nuts myself ;)

Lis said...

okay, first you unveil your sculpted form, now your nuts? Sorry, i couldn't resist!

as a child my mother would make roast almonds ever Christmas season to give as gifts. the smell of those nuts baking was pure heaven! i love nut butters so i will have to try this ...

oh, nut butter with honey ... is it lunch time yet?

K A B L O O E Y said...

That certainly sounds delicious. After a childhood in which I didn't like peanut butter, I've discovered the stuff in my middle age. But I have to say, I kind of prefer the synthetic, prefab texture of the store-bought stuff more than the natural kind. Heresy, but truth. For months I was obsessed with Jif Natural Creamy and ate it every day for breakfast. I much prefer cashews to peanuts, so if they made a cashew version, I'd be in heaven. And if they had a spokesman who did your mad scientist face, it'd be even better.

Diana said...

Yummy! I am salivating! I had never thought of making my own nut butter, but now will have to! I may need to get a snack, even though my teeth are brushed :-)

ros said...

It looks delicious - what is about men and their nuts?

brandi said...

~you inspired me last night to make my own...i used almonds and coconut oil...heavenly...this was a wonderful project and i will oh so be trying the cashews next! great job...brightest blessings~