sbr animation

Monday, April 5, 2010

Weekend Wood

This week, for 52 Projects, I decided that I would play with tools. I did not complete anything, rather I've started something.

I've always been fascinated by wood. I love the smell of fresh cut lumber, I like to the look of broken timber, and, as we found out earlier, I have a thing for driftwood. This spring I have seen different types of wood lying around; downed branches, fallen tress, etc. One day I was out running and I saw a log that was in a pile of yard clean up stuff. As I ran by it I could see a face carved in it. By me. All I needed to do was 1) remember where I saw it and go back later with the car 2) learn to carve. Pretty simple eh? We'll see how it all works out but I've started. I got a cheap set of starter carving tools, cut a slab off the log, and started playing. I didn't get too far since we were so busy over the weekend but it's a start. This will be a work in progress but eventually will make it back to 52 Projects.





8 comments:

Jane said...

We'll definitely have to spend some hours outside on the front porch playing around with the carving tools. You really do have a nice piece of wood to work with... :))

Anonymous said...

awesome! i love carving with woods. i used to have a set that i used for carving things. it was very therapeutic...the scent of the wood, the movement of the hands...can't wait to see what's next!

dreamer said...

I love wood too,it is my favourite material.Hope you have a lot of fun with your new interest.I have a carved wooden face in my garden which I bought from a workshop in Austria on holiday once, the guy was carving the faces with a chainsaw!! It was fascinating to watch him, apparently in Austria they are called zapfenmandels and are protective wood spirits.He had growing trees in his yard which were carved with faces, a bit like living totem poles.
Have fun with your wood and your chisels :)

Annie Z said...

I should have gotten you to do all the sawing I didn't enjoy doing the last couple of weeks! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Erika (for Arianna :) said...

I bought a burning wood kit awhile back and this is making me go and dish it out of my box of to do things! I would love to see photos of the process and finish pieces!

brandi said...

~what fun...can't wait to see the finished face...amazing since this started how we all are looking at things in a different light! our oldest has been whittling sticks lately...may have to get him a carving set...wishing you many moments to spend crafting away...brightest blessings~

Lis said...

nice set of tools! they look ready for action ... can't wait to see what you create.

funny, my husband was in the garage this weekend cleaning and organizing everything in preparation for some Spring projects. The manly version of Spring cleaning!

Killara girl said...

that's fun...my dad was a cabinet maker...one of the best in Sydney, and i used to love going down to the factory and play in the sawdust, and smell the wood & polish. there's photos of it on my blog....if you're interested, it was sold a few years back and a german architect renovated it, (it was built by my grandfather) my dh also likes carpentry and has been working on our house (another story) lol.

will be waiting to see you what make...when i was young there was always some boy whittling away!