sbr animation

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Is it soup yet?

I was thinking about how much I've grown and changed throughout my lifetime, but also about what has not changed.

1977



2007



I look a bit different but still love to skate. The biggest difference is I don't live for it. There was a time when all I thought about was skateboarding. I never went anywhere without my stick. Not so much any more. In fact, at one point I made a conscious decision to NOT skate while training for a marathon, then that rolled over into triathlon training. I don't want to twist an ankle and derail my training. But I do miss skating. When I skate I skate hard and the potential for injury is there. If I skate hesitantly or hold back I actually increase the chances for injury. A few weeks ago Jane and I went down to FDR. I didn't bring a board. I hate going there without a board.



I really came into my own through skating. I developed a lot of confidence and a bit of respect from peers. I was arguably the best skater in my HS in 1977. I surpassed others that I had looked up to when I first started. I was no pro or anything, and there are plenty of kids who are better than me today, but it's a whole different style of skating these days. I don't ollie. My idea of street skating is to race down the suburban hills where I grew up. My idol was (is) Tony Alva, the father of vertical skating (pools and such)




















I once wrote a song about skating:

Blue Tile Fever
My feet are itchin'

I can't stand the pain

I got to hit vert

Before I go insane

I got the blue tile fever



Sk8 or die!

1 comment:

Jane said...

I love the look of this layout! Beautiful job on the design. I think you should still find time for a little skating. I remember watching you skate the St. Mary's parking lot and I knew you loved every moment of it! It's not too late to change the wedding location to FDR skate park....just kidding :))

xoxoxo