sbr animation

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Forgot the Garmin. Again.

30 minute run scheduled today. Did it at work which required packing cold weather gear in my gym bag. My hat and gloves were in the basement on the drying rack. I was upstairs and had not even showered yet. I could have showered and gotten dressed and taken everything from my room down stairs and then gone to the basement for my other stuff. I didn't. I like to fully pack my bag before I do anything else. Not efficient, I know. Multiple trips up and down the stairs.

We all have our insanity. One of mine is making sure I have "everything." I get nuts on race mornings. Hell, I get nuts the night before the race especially if there are weather issues. Last fall I ran the Philly marathon. I planned and worked for months to go for a BQ @ 3:30:59. Show up race morning, walking to the start line when I realize I do not have my Garmin. Fuuuuuck! I was beside myself. I almost went into a panic. How the hell will I track my pace? What the fuck am I going to do? I might as well not even race if I can't see the fruits of all my hard work. Then I took a few deep breaths, gathered myself and knew I would just have to make do. Make do turned into wearing Jane's pink ladies Times Ironman watch. At least I could have some idea of my pace, if I could see the numbers and if I could do the math. I have trouble doing math on paper, let alone when my brain is oxygen deprived. And who the hell decided an hour should be 60 minutes? How about a freakin' decimal system so it's easier to do the math? Anyway, I manged to squeeze out a 3:33:38. Not quite my goal but pretty damn close and I don't know if having my Garmin would have helped or not. But I still wish I had not forgotten it. So... I forgot it today. Had to use my Timex Ironman watch for the time. No distance, no pace. I know I was about 4.10 in distance and the time was 33:05...but I don't have my splits. I like my splits. I'm sure I had negative splits. But I did remember my iPod which was in neither my bedroom nor the basement. But it was a nice run. Sunny and cold.

1 comment:

Jane said...

I think my pink ironman watch really made a fashion statement out there :))