sbr animation

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fitty duece

Can I tell you how awesome my wife is? I love her mind! She came up with the 52 Projects idea and it's got me really psyched.

I've had this thing that I've wanted to do for some time but it required some external conditions to align; time, and elements. Well, we got both with this weekend's snowstorm as it presented me with a wonderful opportunity to do something I've thought about for quite some time; go snowboarding at the Belmont Plateau. For those who don't know, The Plat, as locals call it, it an open piece of land at the top of a hill in Fairmount Park, overlooking Philadelphia from the west. It's a fairly well know spot (both Will Smith and G Love have sung about it) with softball fields, football fields, cross country race courses (High School and College teams compete there), and lots of picnic space. And when it snows, there are a whole bunch of folks out there sledding.

I drive past the Plat twice a day on my work commute and have seen it through all the seasons and many of the ways it's enjoyed. I've seen the kids sledding out there when it snows and have always wanted to take my snowboard over there. So today I did. Jane, Max, and I bundled up and headed out by 9:00. The snow was deep and fluffy. Not the best for riding but there were a couple of packed down areas that made for decent trails. Max had a cheap plastic board that didn't work so well so we went back to the house after a bit to get my other board and he and I returned to spend several hours there. It was crowded by the time we got back and the hill was getting pretty packed down. I don't have any pictures from later in the day but wish I did so you can see the difference in the snow. It was easier to ride the more packed it got, but all the people out there sledding and such made it busy. Plus, some folks just don't know not to walk right back up the middle of the trail. On a side note, I was really proud of Max. He did great out there riding for the first time.


Here's the view from the snowbound parking area






One of the early runs






Max and me






Just me







And........ some video!!! Woo hoo!!!!



7 comments:

Jane said...

That was so much fun to see you two out there! I love how you've supported this 52 Projects so much. I can't wait to see how our minds keep buzzing in all the weeks to come.

Anonymous said...

that looks like so much fun!

Erika (for Arianna :) said...

Wow, that looks life fun! I wish I had 5 % of your physical activities. I need to stop being a couch potato!

Rochelle said...

That actually looks like fun -- and I'm a confirmed couch potato. Great pix (and video!). :)

dreamer said...

Looks like a fun snow day :)

K A B L O O E Y said...

Cool! And getting your son out there is cooler. And scoring the rad video to the Ramones? Coolest. I have a soft spot for them and saw them 6 or so times. I hope I can brave the snow enough to get my daughter sledding, but I don't do ANY cold weather outdoor activities. Watching the X-Games and Olympics is as close as I get.

MrB said...

I saw the Ramones about a dozen times. Those were the days!