sbr animation

Monday, December 20, 2010

Today

Yeah, so today is the day. Yup, The day. I thought it would be last July, or October. Those came and went and then I thought it might be January, or early March. Nope. It's today. Today I start blogging regularly with a focus on my build towards IronMan Lake Placid, July 24 2011.

I thought it would be cool to blog about my experiences leading up to IronMan for a full year, from July 2010 when we volunteered and I signed up, until July 2011 when I cross the finish line. When I didn't start that I thought it would be cool to start on my 50th birthday since the idea of IronMan was born of me contemplating turning 50. When that didn't happen I figured I'd wait until the first of the year and blog every day in 2011 until I become and IronMan. I also considered waiting until the official start of my 20 week training program in March. I'm not big on starting things on January 1st. That's too easy and way overdone (in two weeks the gym will be crowded with the resolutioners, God bless them).

Then today it hit me. Today is the day. I don't need a milestone or a jumping off point. Just go! So, here I go, today.



Workouts today were a 5 mile run at lunch and a swim after work. I feel like I haven't been in the pool in ages and I felt it in the water. I managed to get in 1600 yards though and felt good about that:

WU
2x200

MS
2x500
25 easy
25 hard
50 easy
50 hard
75 easy
75 hard
100 easy
100 hard

CD
200

I'll edit this later with the times since I don't have my watch in front of me.

The run was good but chilly. It's pretty cold around here with temps in the 30's and wind chill in the 20's. I was maybe a bit overdressed but I'd rather be hot than cold.

5. 1 miles
42:49
8:24 avg

When I got back to the fitness center at work I smelled BO. Bad BO. I thought it was me and kept sniffing and checking. I thought maybe it was my gloves or my skull cap since they get sweaty but don't get washed much. Nope. They smelled fine. It was almost as if it was the rugs or something but they had just been cleaned a few weeks ago. I stretched a bit and went to get showered and changed. When I got back to my locker after the shower I found out what smelled so bad. Well, who smelled so bad actually. There was a guy I'd not seen before in the locker room and he reeked to high heaven. Damn dude! He was wearing a very dingy and sweaty plain white undershirt and he put on his overcoat and left. No shower, no change of clothes, no nothing. Ewwwwww!! No wonder he's so stinky. Hope he doesn't make regular visits. I'd take the Axe body spray kid from last summer over this guy. Ooo Fa!

No comments: