sbr animation

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Weather Outside is Frightful

Ok, maybe not frightful, but it's snowing and cold and windy. I'm scheduled to do a FTP running test today and I don't think I'll be able to do it outdoors. Poop! I'd really hate to have to do it on a treadmill. Not even sure I could do it accurately that way, though if you are getting VO2 Max or lactate threshold testing done professionally that is done on a treadmill, but under supervised conditions.

What's an FTP test you ask? This is:

After 10 minute warm up, you are going to run for 30 minutes as hard as you can for the entire 30 minutes. After starting the run, hit your 'Lap' button so you record the average HR over the last 20 minutes. This can be run on track or measured course (flat). Record the time and get a 10 minute cool down.

It's designed to help you calculate heart rate zones for running workouts. It can also be done on the bike. When done right, it's no fun at all :) I did it in the spring but my plan calls for it today. I would like to see where I stand since the last test.

No comments: