sbr animation

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Macrame, Take Two

I went back to the well, kids. I decided to make another macrame plant hanger for 52 Projects. At first I thought it was cheating but it' s my project and I'll do what the hell I want, and I really wanted to make another hanger. I enjoyed making the first one and learned a lot about how to do it "the next time." Then I dyed all that hemp for another project and really wanted to use it. So, I did. I figure it's ok to apply some of the same skills, tools, and materials from previous projects and incorporate them into a new project. What good is learning something if you don't use it again? I plan to continue this trend going forward. I won't duplicate the exact same project twice but I will do second (and third) passes of things, trying out new skills and new tools.

For this one I really paid attention to the direction of the knots, the pairings of the strands, and the overall symmetry of the work. I think this one is way better than the first one. So here it is, the red & black self dyed hemp macrame plant hanger.


Knotting the strands




You gotta keep 'em separated!!





It's almost as tall as me.


Knots and beads...




Beads and knots




Arranging the foliage


There she is, Miss Macramerica...

4 comments:

Jane said...

I love the way this one turned out Baby! You did it in no time at all. If you make enough of these they'll make a natural screen for the view next door :)

K A B L O O E Y said...

Even with all these pictures, I have NO idea how you do this. It definitely looks like something you could sell at a Farmers' Market or craft fair -- very professional yet homespun. Great job. And I applaud you for going back to an old project. I've been thinking I should do this too, if only to reinforce these nascent skills.

Annie Z said...

That's not cheating at all! Getting the hang of a project and improving on it IS another project!! It looks fantastic on that wonderful porch.

Lis said...

I am just so impressed by your manual dexterity! How well I remember the macrame plant holders and spider plants! I wish I had a nice porch to hang one from ... ah, saving myself from tackling another new project!