sbr animation

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tree Trimming

Tree trimming usually happens in December when spruce and pine get adorned with the beauty of professional sports teams’ licensed merchandise, but I’ve taken a different route. Ok, I am taking a different definition of trimming. More like pruning. Our backyard neighbor has a beautiful flowering fruit tree, probably a Cherry Blossom, that provides beauty and shade to his yard. And our yard. And our back porch. Right up to the back door. I knew late last summer that this tree would need pruning on our side of the fence. It hangs over a small back deck where our grill is, and was beginning to get in the way. I kept meaning to get around to it but this week the thing seemed to explode in bloom over night and completely take over the deck. It was time. In fact, it was 52 Projects time.


I looked into renting one of those telescoping tree pruning saws. First place I called place didn’t carry them. They guy on the phone kind of laughed at the notion of renting them and said there was too much liability. Hmmm. What could possibly go wrong when working overhead with heavy branches near electrical lines? I called another tool rental place and they did rent them, but were out. I guess there are a lot of trees hanging over back decks around here. Undaunted, I set out to buy my own. Though we are renting a house now we will have our own place soon enough and every good homeowner needs a 14 foot telescoping tree pruning saw.


Never having used one before it took me a little bit to realize that the saw blade and the cutting mechanism are separate parts of the tool. The rope hanging down from the business end is for operating the shears, not for operating the saw. Maybe there was something to the notion of not renting these things out.


After some assembly I figured out the not so very complicated mechanism and set out to free the grill from the attack of the Cherry Blossoms. I asked Max if he wanted to help and he was very excited about the notion of cutting things. I told him there would be some manual labor at first and later we’d use a power saw. That really got him going. That brought me to another first for 52 Projects; teaching Max how to use hand saws and power saws safely and effectively. In light of the lack of blood this seems to have been a success.



Here are some before and after pictures



Do, do do, looking out my back door....





Up the down staircase








A view from a yard



Here are some during pictures






We used my reciprocating saw to cut the branches down to manageable bits






Then we stuffed them in the mandatory recyclable yard waste bags





Now we can grill on the back deck without fear of arbor attacks.

(And yes, I did put the snow shovels, rock salt, and tree stand away. Hey, we may still have another frost coming!)

3 comments:

Jane said...

You boys certainly did share some manly time together and the yard looks great now. Tonight I was actually able to grill the chicken without having to wear safety goggles!

Erika (for Arianna :) said...

Love the tree I am still trying to figure out where I can put a Cherry blossom or Magnolia tree somewhere in my house. The picture with the paper bags reminded me of my old house that we needed to do that ugh! but in our new place we have a drum. So much easy! Good job!

Annie Z said...

It's a beautiful tree. And even better now that it's manageable with a cool saw!! A great project to do together.