sbr animation

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cake

I know, you're all wondering where I've been. I promise you 90 posts in 90 days and I don't even make it a full week. Just remember, I told you up front I may miss a day or two here and there and double up. So have no fear, faithful readers, I will complete my 90 in 90. I know how much it means to all of you... [insert chirping crickets here]

On to cake. It's quite timely that this past Sunday Scribblings prompt was"Cake"; my son and I went to see the band Cake in concert a few weekends ago. I enjoy their music very much and one song in particular, The Distance. The refrain of "He's going the distance, he's going for speed" is relevant for me as I think about triathlon. I got into this sport with a very specific goal of doing an Ironman while I'm 50 years old. I've been working at this for over three years. Longer really, if you factor in that first moment many moons ago when I thought, "I'd like to do that someday." "Someday" will be July 24 2011, and while working towards that goal I've trained and raced my way to longer distance and faster finishes.

Now, here's where distance and speed get really interesting. My last triathlon was a smallish sprint distance race where I took 3rd place in my age group, qualifying me for an award. The competitive side of me (yeah, ok, that's every side of me) is very excited by this and sees the potential for actually taking 1st place in my age group in some of these shorter races. I doubt I could ever finish that well in longer distances but I think I can go pretty fast in a short race for a guy my age. So there's where the gotcha is; do I go for distance or do I go for speed? Of course I'm 100% focused on and committed to Ironman, but after that's done.......

1 comment:

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Blessings,
you shall be proud of be an iron man.

lovely tale.